Guide to why we use modal cotton instead of commonly used cotton fabric.
What is Modal Cotton
Modal is made from beech tree pulp, commonly used for clothing, underwear, pyjamas and bedsheets as it is lightweight, breathable and stretchy, perfect for long hours of comfort. Modal Cotton on the other hand, is a blend of Modal and cotton fabric making combining both its benefits into one fabric. It is a popular fabric for brands and fashion designers who are more eco-conscious as it is more environmentally friendly.
Developed in Japan in the 1950s, Modal is more durable and flexible than standard rayon. Modal is considered a luxurious textile which costs more than cotton or viscose, owing to its features to be able to blend with other products with a high-quality, amazing lightness and softness.
Benefits of Modal
- Stretchy, soft and breathable
- Water absorbent - 50% more absorbent than cotton
- Modal does not pill - A 'pill' or more commonly known as a bobble, fuzz ball, or lint ball is a small ball of fibres that form on the face of a piece of fabric
- Retains shape over repeated washes
- Does not crease
Care for your Modal Products
Modal is durable thus can be washed in the washing machine and tumble dried. However with our Modal Cotton blend, it is better for the product to be delicately handled like silk.
- Wash in cold water - can be washed in any temperature but cold water is ideal
- Hand wash - treat your product carefully
- Hang to dry - dry when wet to avoid wrinkling
At Bells & Birds, we choose to use modal cotton in our products and now you know you should too.